Friday, April 19, 2013

Debut Showcase

I absolutely love seeing the budding artists in Lola and Ellie... spoken from the true eye of their loving mother. They seem to love to draw. I think their free time in the morning between me dropping them off at preschool and them going to class has inspired their interest in drawing. They have about 15 to 30 minutes every Tuesday and Thursday of free time. They always choose to draw or color during this time. Every time I pick them up from preschool, I am greeted by two enthusiastic preschoolers with a picture in their cubby ready to show off.  They also spend quite a bit of time in their art corner creating some L & E originals. When mommy "the teacher" buts into their art time, I can't help but ask them about their pictures and see if they can write about their picture. To my surprise they are starting to label their pictures with sounds they recognize in the words describing their picture, accomplishing some of the first steps in the development of writing/reading. 

Here are some of the girl's master pieces. 

Ellie created this self portrait, complete with four eyes. 
Ellie describes this picture as Lola with "crazy hair" and lots of flowers.
Lola describes this picture as a beautiful flower with colorful clouds. 
Ellie drew this picture of mommy a while back complete with hoop ear rings and six eyes.

Another Ellie original, "mommy with sunglasses" she says.
Portrait of Emma, those hoop ear ring make a second appearance. By: Ellie
Below is a Family Portrait by Ellie.
It is interesting to me that both Lola and Ellie have yet to draw daddy's wheelchair. They simply do not see the chair when they see their daddy. When they describe their drawing, they even describe their daddy as the biggest and strongest daddy ever, which is most definitely true!  
Lola's Family Portrait. 
The moment I even thought to start encouraging the girls to write words/letters associated with their pictures is when Ellie showed me this picture (don't you love the teeth) and said "look mommy I wrote, I Love You."  She writes the letters "I lv u" It was one of those AhHa moments for me. As most know, I am the last person to push any sort of development on my children early, so I often lean on the side of caution when introducing academic concepts to them, but in this case I can't help to encourage the blossoms to bloom.  
Ellie drew this picture of Mommy and Daddy and said she was drawing gel in daddy's hair because mommy and daddy were going on a date. 
Lola will often choose to write and practice letters over drawing pictures. She actually keeps a "homework journal" with scribbles of letters and pretend writing. Lola wanted to write the word "ant" and "bird" after illustrating the picture. I'll give her good marks for this one. 
Ellie: taking liberties with her preschool work, practicing her name,
her sister's name and the words I love you again.
Note: In Lola's top left corner she wrote the words I Love you, too. "I L U"
Though Ellie is up on writing words, she much prefers to write her name over and over again. 
Some more words from Lola. Cat and bird. 
Lola's "homework journal" aka free write journal
 Ellie's "homework journal" aka free drawing journal
I am sure there will be more showcases to come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...