Monday, September 7, 2015

Summer Reading and Writing


This summer we didn't join the library reading program ... to be honest with all of our traveling and summer fun plans, I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up with it on a weekly basis. So I decided to do our own little reading and writing program this summer. 

First we called it "Summer Rock'n Reading" 
I made up a little chart and each day that the girls read for 15 minutes they would get to shade a spot on the chart. After reaching 10 they got a trinket and after reaching 20 they got a some dough! It was a great, casual, easy, fun way to keep them reading over the summer. Sometimes the girls read on their own, sometimes they read to us, and sometimes they read to each other! 







I also wanted to keep them writing this summer! The prescription I give to all of my students' parents is to buy a fun summer journal and just have them write about all the cool stuff they do over the summer. Well, I took my own advise and I am glad for it. I was not expecting what a cherished memento these journals would become. They're basically a record of our summer from a 6-year-olds mind. I love them and don't think I will ever be able to part with them, but if for some reason I do I took some snap shots of my favorites entires. 

Our summer from the mind of  LOLA....










 Our Summer according to ELLIE...













I will for sure being having them keep summer journals for quite some time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...